The purpose of the Verifier is to Evaluate Education, Training and Development Providers.
We make reference to two different types of verifiers, namely:
1. External or Internal SETA verifiers
2. External or Internal Programme verifiers
3. External Moderatators
External or Internal SETA verifiers
Use for verification of Training Providers, mostly employed by the SETA. External verifiers will be contracted in by the particular SETA.
Minimum requirements is totally dependent on the SETA. Ideal 5 year background of the SETA’s and their processes and Unit Standards ID 15191, Evaluate education, training and development providers, NQF Level 7, Credits 15 or the previous unit standard ID 9939, Evaluate learning systems, NQF level 6 with Credits 18.
Historical some SETA’s also accepted qualifications such as: -50334 ODETDP Qualification NQF:5 Credits:120, -50333 OETDP Qualification NQF:5 Credits:240, or -50331 ODETDP Qualification NQF:6 Credits:145.
External or Internal Programme verifiers
Use for the verification of Training Material. These can be internally or externally recruited by the SETA’s.
Minimum requirements is also totally dependent on the SETA. Ideal 5 years experience working with the SETA’s including full time development for unit standard aligned programmes.
Minimum entry level requirements for this will be: -123394 Develop outcomes-based learning programmes, NQF 5, Credits 10, + -123401 Design outcomes-based learning programmes, NQF 6, Credits 15.
The following qualifications also meets the requirements: -50334 ODETDP Qualification NQF:5 Credits:120, -50333 OETDP Qualification NQF:5 Credits:240, or -50331 ODETDP Qualification NQF:6 Credits:145.
The ETDP SETA (Education Training Development Practices SETA) who currently verify all related unit standards and qualifications should alternatively also provide some guidelines on this topic. With a recent advert places for Learning Programme Evaluators and External Verifiers the following criteria was listed, as per their website:
Key Result Areas:
-To carry out verification site visits to providers when necessary -To evaluate and verify evidence supplied by providers based on the verification policy, procedures and criteria of the ETDP SETA. -To generate reports and recommendations to the ETDP SETA on the findings of the site visit -To identify areas for continuous improvement in the verification system -To identify and inform the ETDQA of any gaps or shortcomings on the quality assurance system of the ETDP SETA -To provide support and capacitate individual providers where necessary -To participate in ETDQA workshops for continuous improvement of the quality assurance system
These can be internal or externally contracted by the SETA to assist with the typical learner certification process.
Minimum requirements is also totally dependent on the SETA.
In most cases only the Unit Standard 115759 Conduct moderation of outcomes-based assessments, NQF 6, Credits 10 will be accepted, but the qualification 50334 ODETDP Qualification NQF:5 Credits:120 is also recommended.
The ETDP SETA (Education Training Development Practices SETA) who currently verify all related unit standards and qualifications should alternatively also provide some guidelines on this topic. With reference to their advert dated 2014 the following requirements was stated:
Scope of Work
• Evaluate and verify evidence supplied by training providers in accordance with the applicable policies and procedures of ETDP SETA (available on the ETDP SETA website)
• Confirm the results of moderation of assessment against unit standards and/or qualifications, and determine trends • Look for evidence from the moderators’ reports on the validity of the assessment process
• Sample moderated assessments
• Ensure that fair judgement is passed on the moderation of all assessment under review, based on the prescribed ETQA criteria
• Evaluate moderated processes, focusing on learner achievement
• Verify that training providers use registered assessors and moderators
• Record and report on verification findings and make recommendations on continuous improvement in the verification process
• Advise and support moderators
• Provide support to and capacitate individual training providers where necessary
• Participate in ETQA workshops for continuous improvement of the quality assurance system.
• Evaluate full qualifications and unit standards-based learning programmes in accordance with the ETDP SETA and South African Qualification Authority guidelines, criteria, policies and procedures for learning programme evaluation
• Analyse the qualification and/or unit standard-based learning programme outcomes, together with their assessment criteria and associated information
• Identify areas of development for providers and provide articulate comments and recommendations
• Generate quality reports with clear recommendations on approval status to be granted to providers. The reports must be completed on templates designed by ETDP SETA for this purpose.
Minimum Qualifying Criteria to be Considered for Registration
At least 5 years’ verification experience within the ETD field Profile of consultant/detailed Curriculum Vitae Qualification in the Assessor and Moderator Unit Standards A tertiary qualification in Education and Training and/or related field
Proof of competency in learning programme evaluation Profile of consultant/detailed Curriculum Vitae A tertiary qualification in ETD and/or related field
Also refer to the Verification discussion